Friday 24 January 2014

Recap - Creating an Explosion

Recap of Creating an Explosion

Before any animating I wanted to take a quick look at explosions - although my scenes may not require this it is important to know to help others.

Creating an Explosion

Now for something that is a little more trickier. I don't think that I will be making the use of an explosion for my animation however it is something useful to learn, and could possibly be implemented elsewhere or for future.
First of all, get the basics done. Open up 3DS max and create a standard primitive. For this exercise I have chosen a box, with segments 5x5x5. I coloured the box pink because I like the colour pink. Under geometry, on the drop down box, you will find 'particle systems', click this. Seven options should appear, I won't bore you by naming them all but select 'PArray. When you draw a PArray it will show a little box, I drew mine small and to the right of my pink box. Attaching the PArray is really simple, just select 'Pick Object' under 'Basic parameters' then click on your box, or object. Now if you move along the timeline you will see little particles coming from the box.

'Particle Generation' is where you can make adjustments to the particles. I didn't make too many changes to my explosion, all I did was to increase the 'Emit stop' to 30, 'Display Until' to 100 and 'Life' to 100.

Under 'Particle Type' is where I made most of my changes to the explosion. Instead of using 'standard particles' I chose to use 'Object fragments'. I also ammended the 'amount of chunks' used from 100 to 60. Shamefully, I spent a fair few minutes deciding how many chunks to use.

With any good explosion you will see that the debry spins and rotates. After a little digging around on the internet I found that you can adjust the spinning of exploded segments under 'Rotation and collison'. I set the speed to 1 and the variation 4.0.
I haven't explored explosion throughly as it isn't an aspect that I will be including in my animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment